Hymns & Poems
Log In / Register
Intro, Biographical Information, Notes etc:
Books & Pamphlets:
The Eternal Counsels of God
The Lord's Supper
Does anyone have any biographical information of James McBroom in addition to that on STEM (http://www.stempublishing.com/authors/Biographies/mcbroom.html) ? I would also be interested in seeing any additional writings of his.
Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 : 06:45
A quick perusal of the census records gives the following:
James McBroom (1868/9-1951)
Born: Stevenston, Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Father Hugh M born c.1840/41/2
Mother Elizabeth born c.1844/5
Marion born c.1863 (?died before 1881
Archibald born c.1866
Hugh born c.1870
John born c.1874
Charles born c.1876
Alexander born c.1879
Ann born c.1881
Elizabeth born c.1883
Gilbert born c.1886
Helen born c.1890
In 1871 (registered as James McBrown): family living in New Street, Stevenston
In 1881 at the age of 13 he is described as a Drawer Coal Miner
By 1891 the family have moved a few miles south to Tarbolton. James is described as a ‘coal Miner’. His father is an ‘unemployed coal miner’
18th July 1895 James married Janet Hart (died 1939, Kilmarnock)
By 1901 James is still living in Tarbolton; he is described as ‘Coal Pit Roadsman’ and is married to Jane (Janet Hart, born c. 1877, eleven years younger). With two children: Margaret (born c.1898
Elizabeth (born c.1901
After 1939 James M married Sarah Kathleen Lawson.
Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 : 20:26
Thanks, Timothy. I am always amazed at the breadth of the ministry of our brother from the coal pits. But then, he served the One of whom it was said, "From whence hath this man these things?"
"Obedience leads to delight, and as taught by the Spirit there is enrichment. This has often transported simple, unlettered men beyond the greatest thinkers of the day who have refused the teaching of the Spirit. Moreover, growth in the knowledge of scripture leads to advance in the knowledge of God and this is growth which widens the outlook on life. Since the books of nature and revelation are from the same blessed Source, the individual, however simple and unlearned, acquires a working knowledge of things, and an outlook on life, which leaves far behind leaders of thought who limit themselves to the passing things of the day." (J. McBroom)
Monday, Dec 25, 2017 : 07:45
Can anyone say where James Mcbroom is buried.He was known in Cockenzie East Lothian and died on the 19th.Mar.1951
Friday, Aug 30, 2019 : 18:57
Not sure if his middle name is McLelland or Hamilton.
Family of James McBroom.
Father: Hugh McBROOM was born in 1839 in Saint Quivox And Newton, Ayrshire, Scotland and died in 1922 in Tarbolton, Ayrshire, Scotland.
Hugh married Mary FLANNIGAN, daughter of Charles FLANNIGAN and Catherine CAMPBELL, in 1860 in Ayr, Ayrshire, Scotland. Mary was born about 1841 in Saint Quivox And Newton, Ayrshire, Scotland and died on 3rd Apr. 1864 in Annbank, Tarbolton, Ayrshire, Scotland.
Children from this marriage were:
1. Marion McBROOM was born on 13th July 1861 in Ayr, Ayrshire, Scotland and died in 1940 in New Monkland, Lanarkshire, Scotland. Marion married John JOHNSTONE in 1881 in Ayr, Ayrshire, Scotland. John was born circa 1855.
Marion next married John VANCE in 1895 in Ayr, Ayrshire, Scotland. John was born circa 1870.
2. Ellen McBROOM was born on 27th July 1863 in Tarbolton, Ayrshire, Scotland and died in 1864 in Ayr, Ayrshire, Scotland.
Hugh next married Elizabeth McLELLAN(D), daughter of James McLELLAND and Ann REID, on 31st Dec. 1865 in Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland. Elizabeth was born on 4th July 1844 in Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland and died in 1908 in Tarbolton, Ayrshire, Scotland.
Children from this marriage were:
1. Archibald McBROOM was born on 8th Mar. 1866 in Fergushill, Kilwinning, Ayrshire, Scotland and died on 9th Apr. 1917 in Burns Street, Tarbolton, Ayrshire, Scotland.
2. James Mclelland (also known as Hamilton?) McBROOM was born on 15th Jan. 1868 in New Street, Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland and died on 19th Mar. 1951 in Haddington, Prestonpans, East Lothian, Scotland.
3. Hugh McBROOM was born on 27th Jan. 1870 in Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland and died on 16th Feb. 1935 in Ayr District Infirmary, Ayrshire, Scotland. He never married.
4. Ann McBROOM was born on 26th Apr. 1872 in Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland and died in 1872 in Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland.
5. John McBROOM was born on 18th Jan. 1873 in Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland and died on 5th Dec. 1943 in Annbank, Tarbolton, Ayrshire, Scotland. He never married.
6. Charles Mclellan McBROOM was born in 1875 in Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland and died in 1963 in Tarbolton, Ayrshire, Scotland. Charles married Jeanie Johnston WALLACE. Jeanie was born about 1884 and died in 1977 in Ayr, Ayrshire, Scotland.
7. Alexander McBROOM was born in 1878 in Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland and died in 1909 in Saint Ninians, Stirlingshire, Scotland.
8. Ann Mclelland McBROOM was born on 18th June 1880 in Burnside, Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland and died in 1944 in Tarbolton, Ayrshire, Scotland.
9. Elizabeth McBROOM was born on 15th Aug. 1882 in Burnside, Stevenston, Ayrshire, Scotland.
10. Ellen McBROOM was born on 28th Apr. 1885 in Annbank, Tarbolton, Ayrshire, Scotland and died in 1885 in Annbank, Tarbolton, Ayrshire, Scotland.
11. Gilbert McBROOM was born on 2nd Apr. 1886 in Annbank, Tarbolton, Ayrshire, Scotland and died after 1943.
12. Ellen McBROOM was born on 22nd July 1889 in Annbank, Tarbolton, Ayrshire, Scotland and died in 1945 in Tarbolton, Ayrshire, Scotland. Ellen married McKIRDY in 1909 in Tarbolton, Ayrshire, Scotland. McKIRDY was born circa 1885.
James Hamilton McBroom (b.1868 in Saltcoats, Ayrshire, Scotland) married Janet Hart 18/7/1895 in Ayrshire.
Information I have is of 3 children born to them and a possible 3 others. Janet died in 1939 Kilmarnock, Ayrshire Scotland.
James Hamilton McBroom then married (after 1939) Sarah Kathleen Lawson.
James dies in 1951 in Prestonpans, East Lothian, Scotland as did Sarah.
The information on the 3 children + the possible 3 other children is they all died along with their mother (Janet) of tuberculosis or dyptheria.
Sunday, Sep 1, 2019 : 04:34
(first name, or anonymous nickname is fine!)
(not displayed, can be blank but prefered)