Brethren Archive

Information about the website. Suggestions and feedback welcome here.

• Doctrine of the second coming of the Lord 1827

In the number July 1 of the Bible Treasury 1857 there is an article (written in the style of a letter) beginning as follows: "It is thirty years ago and more since I first saw the doctrine of the second coming of the Lord. I saw it as the only solution of a thousand and one difficulties which man's mind had created, by attempting to limit the predictions about a glorified Messiah down to the range and circumstances of earth, while in man's hand and responsibility. It threw heavenly hopes and promises open, and also gave consistency to God's past and future dealings with the earth."

"Thirty years ago and more" (counted from July 1st 1857) leads to spring or summer 1827 (or earlier). As this article was not signed in the first edition of The Bible Treasury it was thought that it must have been written by J. N. Darby. But the second edition of The Bible Treasury (1868) gives "W." as author.

Has anybody information as to the personality of "W."? Was it "Wigram"?

Thanks for any new insight!
    Martin Arhelger, Germany

• Martin, I just saw this post of yours. "W" is most certainly A.A. Wallace, the first editor of BT, as stated - "1856-7 Original Edition. Edited by Professor Alexander A. Wallace (First two volumes only.)" On the "Christians Writings Archive" on the list of contents of the first BT edition, against Wallace's introductory address, "W" is indicated. Apart from "Even so, Come Lord Jesus" from where you quote, there are various other articles by "W." Perhaps you solved this one yourself some time back? Regards, Syd

• Syd,

I don't think that A. A. Wallace was still editor in July 1857. According to a note on page 134 (February 1st, 1857) “Professor Wallace has retired from the editorship of the Bible Treasury”. This agrees with a note on W. Kelly’s departure in Bible Treasury May 1906  (New Series, volume 6,  page 80) which says: “The Bible Treasury was commenced in June 1856 under the Editorship of Professor Wallace who gave it its title, but his connection with the periodical ceased with the close of that year; and from January 1857 henceforth, Mr. William Kelly became sole Editor.”

Martin

• Martin, from your references it makes sense what you conclude. I could find no other "W" that answers your query. Could articles of Wallace as contributor still have been included after his editorship?